Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Crepes - a healthy version


I found this recipe is a cooking magazine and I loved the idea of making breakfast crepes. The only problem is that we need to watch out for fat and cholesterol in my house, so I made a low fat version. I checked it out with my nutritionist and she gave my variation the ok for a low cholesterol diet.

Original version
Simple Crepes:
1 c. all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 c. whole milk
4 large eggs
3 Tablespoon melted butter.

The directions say cook 1/3c of batter on a lightly buttered non-stick skillet.

-----------

My variation
1 c. all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 salt
3/4 c. powdered milk (just the powder)
1 1/2c. skim plus milk
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
3 tablespoon light margarine (melted)

Blend all ingredients in a blender until it is the consistency of 1/2 and 1/2. Using a measuring cup, pour 1/3 cup of crepe batter into a hot 12 inch skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cook into the first side is dry and lightly brown (about 2 minutes). Turn it over and cook the other side (about 1 minute).

This recipe makes about 10 crepes.

In terms of fillings I like turkey slices and low fat Swiss cheese. Or for a treat, sliced fresh bananas with a smear of nutella.

I made a batch with my version of the recipe yesterday and me son LOVES them. I was thinking about making some and putting them in the freezer for an after school snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment