Wednesday, July 14, 2010

More about Ketchup

One of my favorite kitchen tips is making homemade ketchup. I LOVE the idea that I know what my family is eating. Plus it's easy and inexpensive.
The only of the downside of making my own is #1-it can be tricky getting it into the bottle and #2-if I'm short on time it can be a pain in the neck to find and measure out everything I need. So I have come up with a solution to solve both problems.

I have created for myself a "ketchup spice mix". Basically I mix all of the dry ingredients in a Ziploc bag ahead of time. When I need a new batch of ketchup I add the wet items and I'm good to go.
Also, I'm trying to add more pictures to this blog so I photographed the process in my kitchen this morning.
===========
First, I gather all of the spices that I will need to make a big batch. I usually make enough to fill a large ketchup bottle (approx 20 oz.).

Next I put the brown sugar and all of the spices to a Ziploc bag.



That's it for the first part! I label the bag of spices and store them in a cool dry place; namely my kitchen cabinet!
=================

Now I don't know about your house but at my house we ALWAYS need more ketchup. I have 4 sons who enjoy a squirt of the red stuff on EVERYTHING!!! So when our ketchup bottle is getting a little light I pull out my bag of ketchup spice and get to work.


To the bag of spices I add: 2 large (12 oz.) can's of tomato paste, the water and vinegar.


Next I gentle release all of the air from the Ziploc bag and seal. Squeeze to mix. Be careful not to burst open the bag.
Next lay the bag flat on the counter and squeeze the ketchup away from one corner. Use scissors to clip the tip of the bag.


Now gather the end of the bag together to form a spout.
Slide the spout down into the your empty ketchup bottle.
From the top of the bag gentle squeeze the ketchup into the bottle.


That's it!

Depending on how large a batch of ketchup you make and the size of bot bottle that you're refilling, there may be some leftovers. Place the Ziploc containing the ketchup in a container or inside of another bag and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment