Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Turkey Burgers!


It's that time of year and really who couldn't use a good burger recipe!
I have been making these Turkey burgers for a while now and it just occurred to me this week to add it here. (I hope I didn't post this already - I have such a bad memory).
Anyway- in my opinion most turkey burgers are dry and boring. I appreciate the health benefits but sometimes low fat leaves something to be desired in the flavor department.
So here is what I do to punch up my Turkey burgers and trick the kids into getting a little bit of extra vitamins.
I use either a hand shredder or a food processor to shred carrot or apple and onions into the meat. I use 1 small apple or 1 small carrot and 1/2 an onion for each pound of meat. In a bowl I mix the veggies, raw turkey, seasoning salt and pepper to taste.
Make sure not to mash the meat too much. You don't want a meatloaf burger. Simply mix with a fork until blended. Form into patties and let the meat rest a few minutes in the fridge.
If you're using extra lean ground turkey add a little olive oil so that they don't stick to the grill.
With this method you can pan fry, grill or pop them on the old George Foreman for delicious burgers in just a few minutes!
Enjoy and happy summer!!!
PS. As a side note - I have 3 young sons who enjoy using my apples for batting practice. The recipe is ideal for using up apples that are too bruised to be appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment